|WWW.SEABEAN.COM HOME PAGE||MAIN SYMPOSIUM INTRO PAGE||E-MAIL Contact Info|
("STS" in keeping with the space coast themes!)
Much confusion exists with identification of Mucuna spp. (Hamburger Beans) and Dioclea spp. (Sea Purses).
If you are as confused as I am, then we need to chat!
The variety, variability, intra- and inter-specific variability of seeds can only be appreciated and better
The Sea-Bean Symposium is an ideal way to see hundreds of seeds at once...
I've set up an opportunity for people to see, show, and optionally share/trade their Mucuna and Dioclea seeds.
This will be at the symposium, in the Library's "Captain's Room" on:
Although this schedule avoids conflict with all presentations, other times are available
Invitations are "open"... no sign-up. Just come with LOTS of Mucuna and Dioclea to participate or simply come to watch
and perhaps learn. I say "perhaps" because more than likely we'll generate more questions than we answer...
hopefully, we'll answer a few questions or at least make progress on some.
At each session (and maybe follow-up meetings after each session), I'd like to focus on seeds of Mucuna or Dioclea,
Time is tight, and divergence to other seeds/genera will be unproductive... at least to the task at hand.
1. Do some homework... separate your seeds as best you can.
2. Bring seeds in see-thru zip-type bags (to perhaps pass around for viewing) and/or bring trays to dump
3. Label your seeds!
4. Bring LOTS of seeds! If you have "tons" of one type, bring 'em all.
1. Mucuna: There's two types (species?) of Red Hamburger bean, Mucuna urens...
2. Dioclea: Firmly establish, if possible, what is D. reflexa and D. wilsonii
18th Annual International Sea-Bean Symposium, 2013: Study & Trade Sessions
ALL web pages © www.seabean.com --- All rights reserved.
ALL photos © www.seabean.com or other photographers individually credited.
Use of ANY photo without written permission is prohibited!